With the recent, concerning and rapid increase in Moped related crimes, the Metropolitan Police are now turning to innovative ways to try and deter and catch this type of offender.
The BBC has today reported that police are testing a spray that can forensically link criminals to a crime. Whilst some might say that this is not necessarily a new thing (for example, we have seen ‘smart water’ used for cash in transit crime prevention and detection) it is unique as far as mainstream crimes are concerned.
The above may well be an indication of the vast increase in this type of crime. It is reported that such crimes have risen 200% rise in the last year. Officers (according to reports) are also seeing an increase in criminals travelling to London from the Home Counties to commit such crimes.
These crime figures include the use of what are known as ‘step through’ vehicles (i.e. scooters and low capacity motorcycles). The vehicles are used in order to commit street robberies against unwitting victims.
In addition, the vehicles themselves are more likely to be stolen in order to commit such crimes. Such vehicles are popular with the demographic of this type of criminal, with the average age only being 15. The metropolitan police report that almost 15,000 ‘powered two-wheeled vehicles’ were stolen during the period of June 2016 to June 2017. This prompted the launch of the ‘Be Safe’campaign ‘The More Visible The Security, The Less Visible Your Scooter Is To Thieves’.
Our advice to you is this; by taking simple steps to make the job of criminal more difficult you will stand a better chance of not becoming a victim of this growing crime trend.
Protecting your vehicle:
Scooters are often the preferred mode of transport for many in urban areas due to their agility, ease of storage in areas of reduced parking and cheap to run. This results in many being parked out the front of property overnight.
Here are some of our tips for overnight security:
- Cover – Out of sight out of mind. There are a number great options for motorcycle covers.
- Lock – Look for a secure fixture, such as a lamppost or gatepost to lock you moped to. Many bike owners turn to ‘disc locks’ which are not only great deterrents, they are small enough to carry with you.
- Illuminate– Security lights are one of the greatest deterrents to criminals. Consider installing a security light with a PIR sensor to activate when someone comes near.
- Cctv– This is not only a great deterrent, but in the event that your prized possession is stolen, it will play a key role in the investigation. With our SMART Closed Circuit TV (CCTV) system you will be able to monitor your property from anywhere via your smartphone. The quality of the CCTV footage amazing!
- Key- Keep your keys safe and out of site. Some criminals have been known to use a piece of wire to reach through the letterbox to hook keys from a nearby shelf or window ledge.
So, each time you return home, remember C.L.I.C.K!
For more security advice and a free survey, contact us today or call 0800 004 999.
4 August 2017
Catering for all your security needs